Introduction: The Alliance is a USAID funded initiative, led by ICUN. Part of the mission and action of the Alliance is to focus on Public-Private partnerships to improve the water quality in Ha Long Bay, by working with leading cruise companies, such as Bhaya Group and the Ha Long Bay Management Board to:
- Assess barriers to installing advanced on-board waste water treatment systems.
Identify specific policy reforms and investments that the province needs to make to support private sector investment in advanced technology.
- Design an international standard certification label that will encourage innovation and investment in clean technologies.
- Mr. Darius Postma, HG Foundation Director– on behalf of Bhaya Group, has been part of the group that has reviewed the certification.
Scope of Project: As the biggest operator of cruise boats in the bay Bhaya continues to actively contribute to the dialogue of the Alliance on issues that impact the preservation of the bay.
- One such contribution is raising the issue of pollution through IUCN and initiating the ‘Action for a Green Halong’ campaigns.
- Collecting and analyzing of data to present to all stakeholders to activate action resulting in the resent banning of the use of polystyrene in Ha Long Bay.
- Ongoing collaboration with IUCN to completely eradicate the use of polystyrene in the whole Gulf of Tonkin, which is one of the worst pollutants, not only in the ocean, but also through the production process.
- Bhaya Group recently partook in a survey of the Lan Ha Bay archipelago, which has some 450 floating houses and aqua farms with high levels of polystyrene use, to assess what the replacement cost will be.
Duration: Long term
For more information on how you can contribute please click here.